An Introduction to Temporary Immigration

Temporary Visa Lawyer in Colorado

Temporary visas (Non-immigrant visas) are for international travelers coming to the U.S. temporarily. Travelers come to the U.S. for a wide variety of reasons, including tourism, business, medical treatment and certain types of temporary work.

Some visas are considered ‘dual intent;’ you may attempt to obtain permanent residency (a green card) while under that classification. Most temporary visas, however, require you establish the demonstration of non-immigrant intent. This means you should demonstrate that you have a permanent residence in your home country that you have no intention of abandoning. The duration of time you may spend in the U.S. can range from a few days to several years, depending on the visa.

In most situations, your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 may accompany you on a derivative visa.

Types of U.S. Visas (Non-immigrant Visas)

Student Visa

The U.S. Student Visa category includes a range of visas that allow overseas students to study at colleges and universities in the United States.

Temporary Work Visa

The Temporary Work Visa is for those who visit the U.S. for temporary employment.

Visitor/Tourist Visa

The Visitor or Tourist Visa is a non-immigrant visa issued to people entering the United States. Visitor or Tourist visas are normally issued for a period of 3 months to 10 years. An additional extension of 6 months can be obtained based on approval by the USCIS.

Transit Visa

The Transit Visa is a non-immigrant visa which allows foreign nationals to enter into the United States while transiting to another foreign country. Individuals from Visa Waiver countries do not need to obtain a C-1 Transit Visa.

Fiancé(e) Visa

The K-1 Fiancé Visa is available to foreign citizens who will marry American citizens and reside permanently in the United States.

Investor Visa

The Investor Visa is issued to individuals who are going to invest in the United States.

If you would like to know more information regarding any type of U.S. temporary visas, do not hesitate to contact our immigration lawyer at Murad & Murad, P.C. for an initial consultation. Located in Boulder, Colorado, our phone number is (303) 449-5535.