F-1 Student Visa Lawyer Boulder, Colorado

F-1 Student Visa

The wide variety of educational facilities in the United States offer great opportunities for students wishing to further their education and training. The intellectual stimulation and social experience of studying in the U.S. will be vital parts of a student’s growth and development.

Foreign national students who want to study in the U.S. usually apply for the F-1 visa. Although the J-1 and M-1 Visas (for vocational students) are sometimes used, most foreign students enter in F-1 status.

Your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 are allowed to join you in the U.S., under F-2 status. A prospective student’s Form I-20A-B may be used to request an F-2 visa.

If your spouse and/or dependent children are joining you later, they will need to submit Form I-20A-B, endorsed from the school you are attending. F-2 visa holders cannot work while in the U.S. nor attend school without changing their status to F-1. An F-2 child may attend elementary school through 12th grade.

F-1 Visa Process Steps:

You must be enrolled as a full time student for an academic educational program in an USCIS approved school. You should have the USCIS form I-20 A-B/ID (Certificate of eligibility) issued by the educational institute.

Procedure to Apply for the F-1 Visa:

You must submit your visa application form, Form I-20A-B and other required documents at the U.S. Consulate, Consular Office or U.S. Embassy with jurisdiction over your permanent residence.

Documents Required for F-1 Visa:

A filled-in appropriate DS visa application form. Separate applications for each person are compulsory.

  • One recent photograph as per the specification of each applicant, with the entire face visible. The picture should be taken before a light background and without a head covering. You may refer to specification through this link: Study & Exchange Visa
  • A passport, valid for travel to the United States for at least six months longer than your intended visit.
  • A letter of admission from the school you plan to attend.
  • A signed Form I-20A-B.
  • Applicants applying with I-20 forms processed after 1 Sept 2004 are required to provide the SEVIS I-901 fee receipt as proof of payment.
  • Proof of sufficient funds to partake in study in the U.S.
  • Proficiency in English or proof  that s/he will receive training to become proficient.
  • Intention to depart the U.S.

To learn how an experienced attorney’s advice can help you through the F-1 Visa process, contact the Law Office of Murad & Murad, P.C. in Boulder, Colorado for an initial consultation.